Portland Bill Lighthouse is a functioning lighthouse on the Isle of Portland, Dorset. The lighthouse is located at the very south of the island, warning coastal traffic off of Portland Bill. The lighthouse and its boundary walls are Grade II Listed.
Both Portland Bill and Chesil Beach are the locations of many wrecks of vessels that failed to reach Weymouth or Portland Roads. Portland Bill Lighthouse guides vessels heading for Portland and Weymouth through these hazardous waters as well as acting as a waymark for ships navigating the English Channel.
As Portland's largest and most recent lighthouse, the Trinity House operated Portland Bill Lighthouse is distinctively white and red striped, standing at a height of 41 metres. It was completed by 1906 and first shone out on 11 January 1906. Originally, both the Old Higher Lighthouse and Old Lower Lighthouse were the two functioning lighthouses on the island, where both were opened in 1716 and continued to warn ships of the coast until 1906, when both were decommissioned. The Old Lower Lighthouse became a bird observatory whilst the Old Higher Lighthouse became the home of Marie Stopes, and today remains a holiday let.
The lighthouse was was built with stone from surrounding quarries at Portland Bill. The area was quarried for centuries until they were abandoned by the early years of the 20th century, following the lighthouse's construction.
Arguably Portland's biggest attraction and most photographed feature, the Portland Bill Lighthouse is open to the public, where tours are operated by Trinity House, and a visitor centre is also a big part of the lighthouse. Portland Bill is a narrow promontory (or bill) of Portland stone, which forms the most southerly part of Isle of Portland. One of Portland's most popular destinations, Portland Bill is also noted for its rough coast. The light pollution in the sky just above the horizon is from the coastal town of Weymouth, 11 km (7 miles) away.
Text via Wikipedia